Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Rene's Best and Worse of Spinelli, 2007

Well, I guess it's my turn to throw my hat into the ring for "Best and Worst!"

BEST OF 2007

5. JaSpin - Especially during Stone Cold's "Secret Pain." TREMENDOUS turns from both actors. They are an awesome combo. Their on-screen time as a duo has been less so lately than earlier in the year, but let's hope for the best in 2008.
4. All pre-Logan SpinLu. Lulu learning about the rape, the "secret pain," looking for Rick's real killer, etc. Once Logag hit town, it was O-V-E-R
3. Georgie's death and Spin's subsequent "realizations" about her feelings for him. Although to me, Georgie's death is a slap-in-the-face to all that was still good in the GH universe, Bradford has most definitely earned an Emmy nod.
2. Spin whacking Lulu over the head at the Black and White Ball. Something we ALL wanted to happen for quite some time.
1. Metro Court Hostage crisis - EVERY SCENE. Just awesome.

(Honorable Mention - The Fantasy Dance!)

WORST OF 2007

5. The brutal mistreatment of Spin by Lulu and Logag. After everything they had been through as friends, the complete shift from best friend to bitch in the character of Lulu was just beyond reprehensible.
4. The Three Stooges - While it had its' cute moments, for the most part, it was just annoying. Made all three characters look like saps.
3. Spin loses his virginity to Jolene - UGH. When it was an "alternate universe" show, I managed to stomach it, even though it was SO anti-Spin, but now that we're supposed to be integrating back into GH, I have to live with the fact that he would do such a thing (totally against character) while pining for Lulu. Not cool.
2. Black and White Ball - Other than two or three small scenes, Spin was wasted in this storyline. He was awesome with what he had to work with, but given his past with the Hostage Crisis, it would seem they would have given him a better chance to shine as the hero this time around. I guess there's always February, 2008!
1. Spazz-a-Lot Spinelli - For awhile there, someone seemed to equate Bradford getting a contract with making him into a complete spastic nerfbag - that person was either fired or was finally bitchslapped into submission as the trend has blissfully STOPPED.

3 comments:

Penny said...

Woo hoo.. Great job Rene'.

Agree with everything.. Funny how we have things in different places And i put some 'best' in worse.. Totally agree..

spikey said...

Agree with these too.

Lulu was at her best when she was a fun misfit. Trying to make her into "Scarlett", (or Carly--one is enough) isn't really working for me. They need to look to her mother, Laura-- and go with that.

I think this and Logan/Lulu with the WTF treatment of Spin was really BAD.

I love Jaspin--they are GOLDEN, but only when he's not going around town worshipping him. That's annoying. It was also annoying with both Lulu and Sam.

Rene' said...

Yes, Spikey, you're right. The "worship" thing is way overblown. I'm SO happy to see that trend seems to be fading. He even seems to have let Lulu go!

Did I dream it, or when he was talking to Jason last week about Georgie, did he or did he not say (and I'm loosely quoting here as I can't remember exactly what he said) "like the torch I CARRIED (or was it burned?) for Lulu went unnoticed, so did the soft light of love Georgie had for me." Or something like that.

But my point is - wasn't it in the PAST tense? I'd love for him to over Lulu!

I loved your "Year in Review," Penny! That was a LOT of work!

I wish I had dotted my Best and Worst with pictures, Spikey. That was awesome!