Sunday, April 6, 2008

The New SOAPS IN DEPTH and other things..

The new SOAPS IN DEPTH (dated April 21) has Spinelli and Maxie as their "hot topic" (eight letters about them with different views, only one negative, the other less positive ones are made that Spin would get over Georgie so fast (um... He never had a relationship with her) and another fearing that Maxie will hurt him. One just thinks Spin looks hot naked.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There's also more fan feedback in other spots. One fan asked about Spixie fantasy with "Funny Valentine" Also, made a comment about how people are jumping on the Spixie bandwagon..

Mail is getting them mentions, even when they aren't interviewed or featured. So YAY.

(Haven't seen SOAP WEEKLY or DIGEST this week, but I know in past there was some positive mail about them)

In other news, at Steve Burton's event in Michigan, he told fans that he thought Bradford should win an Emmy and he LOVES Spinelli and Maxie.

Haven't heard anything out of TOUCHED BY A STAR, yet.

BTW, a reminder, Bradford will be attending his own fan event later this month in Chicago.

Saturday, April, 19 2008
Marriott Courtyard Downtown/Magnificent Mile
165 East Ontario Street, Chicago, IL
Time: 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Tickets: $70.00

http://yournumberonefan.com/site/events1.htm

*****

4 comments:

Penny said...

If I didn't know better I would think the "Spin looks hot naked" was me but I don't think it was me. Maybe it was my four year old. LOL

spikey said...

It was someone from Arizona! But we all agree.. he did.

spikey said...

Ha! want to add that Steve brought up naked Spin at his PA, and the audience applauded/cheered. lol.

If anyone thinks this was an easy crowd, then think again. The audience booed the Zacharra family. Don't like them at all.

Anonymous said...

Why am I so invested in Spixie? Because I love good storytelling, especially when the stories are about love and growth.

Now usually when I come to a soap, I go to lose my self in the passionate pairings and outrageous storylines. Basically, I like to see pretty people get together professing love, professing hate -- mostly in very exaggerated circumstances with lots of drama.

But what surprised me about Spinelli and Maxie is that I was seeing some hints of great character development akin to something I might find in a short story or a play. A quieter story with some terrific emotional impact, peppered with delightful bits of comedy and self-awareness (knowing when to not take itself too seriously). That's a lot of range, and something I had not seen or looked for in a soap in quite a long time.

I first tuned in, via YouTube, for their hilarious Kelly's tables scenes. They just amused me, the banter, Maxie's threats, Spinelli trying to understand what she wanted from him. Their Kelly's scenes are the best.

And then I was totally won over by Spinelli's PI fantasies. I thought, clever storytelling! I'm also a big screwball comedy fan (Bringing Up Baby) and hardboiled/film noir fan (The Big Sleep) -- and I found these fantasies a nice tribute to both genres and, funnily enough, still relevant to the character and the plot.

Then, without any warning, GH delivers those scenes on the hospital roof, when they were trapped in the sewers (when Maxie asks Spinelli what was so wrong with Georgie that he didn't notice her), and then by Georgie's grave. And Maxie and Spinelli showed me, and each other, that they were human, vulnerable, and feeling something real in their common loss and this growing friendship.

There were two earlier scenes in the story arc that I actually didn't see the first time around that might have clued me into this possible intensity.

The first was when Spinelli tried to warn Maxie about Coop. Here is a link:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz7qDLC4LZ4)

KS is amazing in this scene, as lots of people have pointed out, but I also love how sincere and with great concern BA plays this scene. When Maxie comes at him with such anger, Spinelli tries to hold ground but then sees how hurt she is.

The second was when Maxie takes Spinelli to Georgie's room to convince him that he needs to help her clear Coop's name. Here is that link:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKQrMVzUKxQ)

There is a moment here where BA really shines for me. Maxie says "And she loved you, and I have no idea why." When Spinelli yells back, "Neither do I!" BA's expression reveals just how lost he feels, about Georgie's feelings about him, about her death, and to an even greater extent, how he lost he feels about himself and his self-worth. While Maxie was obviously trying to use the visit to the room to guilt him into helping her, she stumbled upon something more.

Those two moments seem so intimate and so crucial to their trust-building.