Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Cleaned Up Spinelli?....What does it all mean?

Could Bradford have been cuter today as Spinelli? I'm with Penny - his hair and wardrobe were still plenty "Spinellified," yet had had a softer air about him. A purposeful move from TPTB? Are we looking at a gradual downplay of major geekness? Perhaps to make him more amenable to a love story with Lulu? Guess we'll have to wait and see! Let's just hope Lulu doesn't REALLY come down with some rare, flesh-eating disease.... :)

And his scene with Sam where he tells her no matter what, he'll do whatever it takes to spare her pain...well, let's just say I'm keeping THAT one on my DVR for awhile....

Bradford is really coming into his own in his role as Spinelli, and I'm shocked to admit that for the first time in years of watching (I'm not admitting how many out loud!), that I'm PROUD of where the writers are taking this character. It's obvious Spinelli has never had people in his life he's cared about so much - or who have cared about him. It's almost as though his perpetual state of "spastic nerfbag" was to draw attention to a very lonely existence. Now that he has these people who are a constant presence in his life, his true nature and a calmer, more caring demeanor is showing through - yet we still get enough of the humorous, loveable nerd we've come to adore. BRAVO to Bradford - I see an Emmy in the not too distant future! And kudos to the writers for bringing on a not-your-everyday soap character and letting him shine.

On a personal note, if anyone is going to Bradford's fan event in July (I AM!), please drop me a line at bradfordfan@aol.com I'd love to know some folks in advance and say "hi" at his event. :)

Rene'
a.k.a. Evil White Woman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This character has the best potential of any I've seen in a long while--he's so much more than comic relief.

First, they've got this theater award winning actor to play the part--and not just for comedy, he's got the acting chops. (he can also sing and dance if they want to find a way to incorperate that into his character)

I looks like the story with Lulu is going to go excruciatingly slow--with good build up. Her comment about Spinelli today was the best of the three suitors--"He kinda grows on you". (yes, indeed he does) Don't expect any of this to be easy, but don't want GH to copout. They are great together. Keep it going.

We also have the Spin/Jason little brother/big brother dynamic..

So much potential. I'm actually excited about a TV show again, and it's because of this character.

-spikey