Friday, August 17, 2007

JaSpin - Superheroes Extraordinaire

Batman and Robin have nothing on Jason and Spinelli. They are superheroes to the "Nth" degree, and GH Night Shift proved it last night.

I have to admit (and it's right here in this blog, in black and white, in my post right after the first episode aired) that I was NOT a Night Shift fan. I thought the writing was cheesy - nothing more than a bargain basement ER knockoff with a little Dynasty night-time soap sex thrown in for good measure (am I showing my age with the Dynasty reference?)

But the past two or three episodes have gotten me hooked, and when I saw last week's spoilers for the JaSpin moment in the elevator with the pregnant HIV patient, I couldn't wait for this week. I wasn't disappointed.

Steve Burton and Bradford Anderson have a chemistry that is unstoppable. They play off each other in a way that is just tremendous. Steve Burton's acting talents have been truly wasted in the land of "Sonny and Jason" for the past century (I guess it hasn't been that long, but it sure feels like it). NEVER in their on-screen history have talent sparks flown like they do when Steve and Bradford share the screen.

Jason and Spinelli realize they are stuck on the hospital elevator with Stacey, a pregnant HIV patient who has abruptio placenta (basically, her baby is going to die if she doesn't have an immediate c-section). For every scream of pain and terror, Spinelli's face reacts with his own level of fear, compassion and worry for the "pained one" and a desperate need for Jason to figure out what they should do. When it becomes apparent that Jason has to do something when Stacey begs him to save her baby, Jason forces Spinelli to realize that he has to help him. Poor Spinelli is absolutely terrified, but Jason makes him realize that he can't do it without his help. Spinelli finds an instant calm when he realizes that Stone Cold needs him. He can't and WON'T let him down. He is his wingman - his grasshopper.

The way the show portrayed the ensuing crude c-section with haunting music and just a hint of the sound of Spinelli's instructions to Jason - coupled with their incredible performances in the scene - was something no JaSpin fan should miss. Even if you don't like Night Shift, like I didn't at first, make sure to catch the re-run on Soapnet. It's worth your time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ITA!! Last nights episode was sooo amazing, i can't wait for next weeks. Jason and Spinelli were great. :)

lovin_spinelli
aka. LovinSpinelli

Anonymous said...

Excellent commentary, Rene! I felt like last night was a real turning point with NightShift...no pun intended, but something has shifted away from some of the buffoonery of the early episodes and toward something deeper, especially with Jason and Spin. I'm really hoping there'll be some bonding over what looks to be some traumatic consequences from last night's events. Bradford just continues to blow my mind with his acting, and ICAM re: the hidden depth of Steve Burton's abilities - he's definitely going places he's never been before since Bradford's joined the cast. I can't get enuf of them.

Penny said...

I loved last night too. It reminded me the writers CAN write good tv at times. The feel reminded me of this last February sweeps.