Saturday, July 14, 2007

Night Shift...hmmm..well...uh....

Okay, first and foremost, let me say that I have not seen a regular episode of GH all week because (beginning shameless plug) - I have been the operations coordinator for a summer youth film camp (headed up by director Allan Goldstein - awesome guy and great "real Hollywood" director! Look him up on IMDB!) wherein my daughter just directed her first short film! Hurray! Showing at the Temecula Valley International Film Festival in September! www.tviff.com (end shameless plug)

NOW! By sheer accident in that I was lying helpless on the couch on Thursday night after a 14-hour shoot at that very camp in the brutal Temecula, CA sun, my TIVO popped on as Night Shift was beginning. So I lay there in a heat-induced stupor and watched. Perhaps my condition is the reason I must say....

I didn't like it. There. I said it. I just didn't like it. They seem to be going for an E.R. feel, but it came off as very bargain basement to me. I was worried about it ever since they spent the past two weeks lobbing the new Night Shift characters at us on GH. Those scenes and writing were VERY cheesy (and I'm not the only one who thought so - The Soup did a piece last night on the "Noah lookalike" scene).

Aside from Patrick, Robin, Jason and our beloved Spinelli, the acting is pure D-list (sorry, Kathy Griffin). My husband was watching with me, but once they said the ambulance blew up from laughing gas (nitrous oxide), he burst into laughter and got up and left. My ever-fact-based-filmmaker husband pointed out that laughing gas is not combustible on its own (aren't you happy to have that tidbit of useless info for your brain file?)

Putting all that aside, Bradford was brilliant as always, and his scenes with Jason were fantastic. I love that Jason is always the protector to his wingman, even in this "alternate universe" of a show. I don't know how I feel about Spinelli's crush on Nurse Jolene. It didn't feel right. It was wonderfully cute, and Bradford acted it to the 9's as always, but I guess I'm just a die-hrd SpinLu fan. Or maybe it's because I just don't care for the Jolene character much - haven't from the first time she showed up on daytime GH. I don't know.

Maybe it was just the heat. I'm setting aside my urge to poo-poo the whole thing until next week when I'm a bit more coherent. Besides, I NEVER pass up an opportunity to see Bradford, even if it's with a side of Velveeta.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the laughing gas ignited because the Iraq vet lit a cigarette. Just a little tidbit!

Rene' said...

But it CAN'T ignite because it isn't combustible (so says my hubby and the internet, anyway!)

Penny said...

Rene I missed you LOL. They did imply that the laughing gas is what was caused the explosion after ignited by the cigarette. Clueless how combustible it was.. LOL so hey it worked for me. Spinelli on my scene.. honestly I was not paying attention besides that.. LOL

Rene' said...

Hey, I wouldn't have known the difference either, but hubby is really particular about "reality." He even knows when cars start in movies if they are the wrong around for that model of car! (He's a major car guy). Me? I could care less either! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Rene', I didn't particularly like NS. It was too unrealistic. Don't know about laughing gas, but bedpans are not washed in ER. No one waits outside for the arrival of an ambulance.
(they are too busy with outher pts.)Medicine is kept under lock & key, not dispenced in bottles. Student nurses aren't given that kind of authority.Spinelli is the only reason I will watch this show. NOT the reality of it!!!

spinluv (^_^)