Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Very Spexie Episode

I'm always a day late and a dollar short as everyone on the blog is well aware; however, how could I let such a special episode go by without expressing my thoughts? What kind of contributing blogger would I be?

Honestly - I didn't expect much. I'm sorry, I know that's so critical and "half glass empty" of me, but with the Three Stooges of GH, it's like that infamous box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get.

I was pleasantly and tenderly proven wrong to have had misgivings...

If Bradford and Kirsten don't receive at least an Emmy nod for their performances, then I know the whole thing is rigged (well, let's face it - we KNOW it's rigged).

The entire breadth of the scenes, when considered as a whole, are just breathtaking and SO well played by both actors. When they kissed for the first time, I felt it clear down to the pit of my stomach. It wasn't one of those fabricated-looking "soap" kisses. I mean, really, do your thighs really go up in flames when Sonny and Kate kiss? Not. The Spixie kiss was magical.

I must give an individual "kudo" to Kirsten for how she told the story of Logan's death. You could feel her fear and desperation. Bravo, Kirsten. And, of course, bravo to Bradford who is, by far, the undisputed king of spot-on appropriate facial reactions. He didn't have to say a word for you to know how he felt.

I was SO RELIEVED that they decided against the typical soapy-sex-montage-with-overlying-sappy-music that they love to pull when it's the "first time" for a soap couple. It really would have demeaned the entire scene, in my opinion. Leaving it up to the imagination and allowing us to join them in a tender after-moment on the couch was perfect.

I was also relieved that while they did give Spin a bit of awkwardness in approaching the whole "let's rip those clothes off" dilemma, it was appropriate and not over-the-top geeky. Again, my fear was that they'd have him practically jumping up and down and clapping his hands at the thought of getting it on with Maxie. As cute and slightly awkward as it was, I can't deny that you could feel the heat.

As has already been stated by others, Spin grew up right before our eyes. He mellowed about 85% over his usual demeanor. It was perfectly played by Bradford. His scenes with Jason were spot-on. I was so grateful that the writers allowed it to be a special moment between them without Jason giving Spin a lecture about birth control or how he doesn't like Maxie or any number of other things he could have done to ruin it for Spin. Steve Burton played it perfectly, showing that he knew this was a huge and special moment for Spin. I loved it.

Finally, the Overlook - my heart was aching for them both. Maxie clearly wasn't sorry she had sex with Spin just for the sake of the sex - she is terrified she will lose him as a friend. He is everything to her, and sex has been nothing but a tool for Maxie in the past. Love and a relationship are foreign and terrifying to Maxie. In her desperation to save her friendship with Spin, she clearly misses the boat on recognizing his love her. Again, Kirsten played it perfectly. It could have come off in a way that made you hate her for hurting him, but you felt just as sorry for her as you did for Spin.

Spin's face in the last scene finally broke my heart completely. Again, NO ONE on that show does emotions through expression better than Bradford.

The chemistry is there, oh Powers That Be! Do you not FEEL it? I know we did!! If this is a testing of the waters, I can't imagine that it won't come back 100% positive that Spin and Maxie are destined to be the next GH Supercouple.

2 comments:

Penny said...

eee. I am so glad you liked it.. I was like ..uumm I wonder what Rene' thought. I felt the scenes was so realistic that i had a hard time looking (well I did) but it felt lie you where watching such an intimate moment between two people.

spikey said...

I loved how completely unique they were. The first kiss was absolutely gorgeous. On the very opinionated messageboards across the net, the overwhelming majority thought that kiss was absolutely gorgeous.

As for the actual love scene, for me, it was perfect. My Maxie was a pro, and stripped him nude before he could figure out how to unbutton a button. It was funny and a bit awkward and Spin might have been overly breathless, but this was THEM. Practice makes perfect, and I hope they get alot of practice. I absolutely love this couple.

Maxie's many issues and Spin's social insecurities and innocence are enough to make this true love story rock for a good while.