Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th


Most of you know I have an adoration for a certain Ben Fold's song called "The Luckiest". I heard it for the first time December of 2007, before Spinelli and Maxie's TMK storyline started. It's a beautiful love song.
The lyrics:
I dont get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here
And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know
That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest
What if Id been born fifty years before you
In a house on a street where you lived?
Maybe Id be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?
And in a white sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize
And I know
That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest
I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you
Next door theres an old man who lived to his nineties
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife; she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away
Im sorry, I know thats a strange way to tell you that I know we belong
That I know
That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

Anyways, when Spinelli and Maxie first started having a lot of scenes together and a romance was pondered, I connected this song to them. It seemed to really work; a love about someone who has had a lot of trials in their life but believes strongly that the "wrong turns" brought on a beautiful connection. It's a song about soulmates, really.

If any two characters could be considered "unlucky", it would be Spinelli and Maxie. She always loses. He never wins. That is the poetry in their relationship. Almost everyone Maxie has ever loved has left her, whether it be her parents, her sister, or lovers. It seems that if she opens her heart to someone, they are cursed to harm or simply exit her life. Then there is of course Spinelli...The good guy who always finishes last. We all watched him pine after Lulu, be tricked by Jolene, and then be denied a chance at love with Georgie. Forture does not favor these two.

To me, it seems so fitting that Maxie declared she loved Spinelli today of all days. Friday the 13th, the day most skirt away from all bad omens, was the day Maxie said the words Spixie fans have been waiting over a year to hear. The two most unlucky people in Port Charles connected on the unluckiest of days. I expect nothing less, obviously. This is a couple that bonded in a sewer, a cemetary, a morgue, and an insane assylum. They aren't conventional to say the least.

Friday the 13th somehow just...fits. It's so completely THEM. It's symbolic and has so much resonance. I tip my hat to Kirsten and Bradford for carrying us through these scenes today, and I trust that there are some very excited Spixies out there sitting in awe of today's wonderful gift. Will fortune begin to favor this unlucky pair? Will they become the luckiest? I truly cannot wait to find out, and it will be a pleasure and honor to watch.


No comments: