Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Secret Life of Damian Spinelli

A Review of The Secret Life of Damian Spinelli
By: Carolyn

As a huge fan of the character of Damian Spinelli and General Hospital I throughly enjoyed this book. It was a departure from the usual storyline that is actually on the show with a lot more fantasy which is at the core of who the Character of Spinelli is. I wish the show itself would use more creative license to go this route with their storylines for Spinelli.

Carolyn Hennesy depicted Spinelli well but I feel at times she may have utilized too many cliche references to Film Noir or old movie classics. I like the utilization of it because that is a technique that is used on General Hospital when Spinelli is in PI mode but I think she went a little overboard. But all and all her writing made me laugh and I had a good time reading it.

This book, whether you enjoyed it or not, was a tribute to a wonderful and unique character that only could be developed on a Soap. Soaps are all about fantasy and it is a genre that should be celebrated. Buy the book if only to show how much you love Soaps and hope that you will be able to watch for some more years to come.

My special thanks go to Bradford Anderson without whom this character would be as flat as a piece of paper. Damian Spinelli is a success due to his creative and talented nature. I'm glad I read the book and would recommend to all who are fans of Soaps.

To order the book please visit http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Life-Damian-Spinelli/dp/1401324134/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top (where you can also write a review--even if its just to show Bradford & Spinelli the love)

ABC.com has the book too, but its more money.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Damian Spinelli is one of my favorite General Hospital characters. He is the main reason I bought the book. I think its portrayer Bradford Anderson is an amazingly talented actor. I really am hoping to see a storyline soon involving the character of Spinelli. I miss seeing his adorable face on my TV screen at least several times a week. This book helped me get through what has been a very long 'Spinelli' draught. I would love if it would turn out that Diane was in fact, Spinelli's mother. Carolyn & Bradford play off each other wonderfully on screen and Carolyn (the author of the book) captured that perfectly.

I ordered my copy through Amazon and when I got it, it smelled funky. Maybe it was near mold or mildew. They smell is just finally starting to go away (weeks later). I seriously could only read a few pages or a chapter at a time. I would gag on it when reading. The book isn't very long. No way should it have taken me a week to read it.

The book is different; one has to remember it's all in Spinelli's head so anything could happen. I didn't like that he knows Maxie is a whore and yet he stays with her and continues you let her do whatever she wants with whomever she wants. Should have kicked her cheating butt to the curb and of course in his mind all the ladies want a piece of the Jackal, just should be more reality then fantasy (on the show and perhaps in the next book).

I enjoyed some chapters more than others. My favorite chapters were Luke/Tracy, Jason/Sam, Lucky/Elizabeth and Johnny/Olivia. One thing I didn't like was all the pauses with the ... it got kind of annoying.

I would love to see a book two, but at the same time I would love to see it also include real PI cases Spinelli has worked on, that we can see him acting out on screen.

spixie said...

I haven't read the book yet, but plan to. It's nice hearing from Bradford's other fans. Love your blog.